Moving into a new home can be a stressful experience. However, a little bit of forward planning can go a long way towards making your move as smooth as possible. Use our Haybrook's moving checklist to make the process easier.
A month before you move:
- Book time off work if necessary.
- If you are living in rented accommodation give notice to your landlord.
- Have a clear out. Anything that you don’t need should be recycled, sold at a boot sale or given to charity.
- Get quotes from removal firms or get quotes for hiring a van if you plan to move furniture yourself.
- Obtain packing materials such as newspapers, tissue paper, boxes, cardboard, wrapping, padding and parcel tape.
- Contact your telephone and utility providers and tell them you’re moving.
Two weeks before you move:
- Contact the removal firm with the final details.
- Start packing things you rarely use - remember to mark fragile items clearly.
- Label which boxes are for which rooms.
- Don't overload your boxes.
- Phone the telephone company and ask them to connect the phone in your new home.
- Arrange building insurance and contents insurance for your new home.
- Tell the local authority that you’re moving.
One week before you move
- Pack everything except things that you will need between now and your move.
- Re-direct your mail.
- Pay any outstanding bills.
- Put important and valuable items such as passports, birth certificates and jewellery in a safe place.
- Obtain a TV licence for your new home.
The day before you move:
- Finalise last-minute packing.
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Disconnect appliances.
- Check your utility suppliers have switched on your gas, electricity and phone in your new home.
- Clean the house.
- Leave a ‘welcome’ card for the people who have bought your house, along with a few local takeaway menus and any instructions they may need.
- Get a good night’s rest!
Your moving day
- Ensure you take electricity, gas and water meter readings.
- Check all appliances are disconnected.
- Secure all windows and doors before heading to your new home.
To find out about buying and selling from Haybrook call 0845 899 4321. We are available 8am - 10pm everyday.