Renting with Haybrook
You may find our Tenant Guide below useful.
This tenant guide has been created to answer as many questions as possible and help you be well prepared for the exciting process ahead of you. We want you to enjoy renting your new home and we always find that if you know what to expect we can provide a better service for you.
We are committed to helping you find your ideal home and have your best interests in mind.
For us to identify properties suited to you, we will ask you detailed questions. Remember, the more information you can give us, the easier it is for us to match you with a property!
To pass referencing you will need to meet at least one of these requirements:
- Have an income of 3x your rental budget
- Have a guarantor (subject to conditions)
- Be able to pay 6 or 12 months’ rent up front
Our latest properties are listed on all major property search websites and our website. Look for a property to rent.
When choosing an agent...
Look for the SAFE kitemark; your money will be 100% protected. Haybrook is a founding member of SAFEagent.
Use an agent with membership of a professional body such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA), the National Approved Lettings Scheme (NALS) or the Property Ombudsman (TPO); certain standards of practice will be in place and you will have access to an independent complaints procedure.
Check that your deposit will be protected by a government-authorised Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme.
View with us
Want to know more about the property? We are here to answer your questions. We’ll also accompany you on every viewing, including evenings and at weekends.
Unsure about the area? Just ask. We can advise you about the local amenities, schools and transport links.
Try to view with everyone in your moving party. Properties will not always be available for a second viewing. For properties newly advertised, be ready to view straight away and act quickly if you are interested. These properties are in high demand and often rent within days.
Let with us
When you make an offer it will be put forward to the landlord.
If your offer is accepted, you will need to provide:
- A holding deposit (By debit/credit card only.)
- Photographic identification for each applicant (e.g. Driving Licence, Passport)
- Proof of address for each applicant (bill or bank statement no older than 6 months)
Be ready for referencing and have the following to hand:
- Your last 3 years address history
- Your employment details
- (If self-employed) Have accounts/accountant details ready
- (If a company) Have two trade referees ready
- Your landlord details
- Your UK bank account details
- Encourage your referees to respond swiftly
When referencing is underway, we will send both tenant and landlord a ‘Subject to Contract’ document stating the details of the contract including any requirements/ agreements made. If anything is missing, inform us straight away.
If all references are deemed satisfactory then we will create a tenancy agreement. If there is any problem with the references, we’ll let you know straight away and advise you of your options.
- Be prepared to pay a holding deposit.
- Be prepared for the paperwork and have the required documents ready.
- Be prepared to be referenced and inform your employer and most recent landlord that they will be contacted.
- Make sure you clearly state any requirements as a part of your application.
Move with us
Before you can move in, you must have:
- Signed the tenancy agreement (signed by all tenants and witnessed)
- A deed of guarantee signed by the guarantor (if applicable)
- Paid the initial monies The initial monies include: the first month’s rent, security deposit, tenancy set up fee and any check-in fee
- Tenant’s liability insurance We can introduce you to Homelet who can offer a tailored insurance policy that protects you against any accidental damage that you may cause to your landlord's fixtures and fittings up to £5,000. They can also provide cover to you to protect your own contents as well. Please speak to any member of staff and they can arrange for Homelet to contact you.
When moving …
Ask to see a valid Gas Safety Certificate. Ask to see a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC); this shows the energy performance of the property
Rent with Haybrook
Shortly after you move in, we will send you a welcome pack and tenancy handbook including details and advice about the following:
- Who to contact during your tenancy
- Setting up utility bills
- Setting up rental payments
- Tenant responsibilities
- Making changes to the property
- Property repairs
- Maintenance issues
- Gas safety
- Tenant’s insurance
- Information for sharers
- What to do when your tenancy is ending
- Your security deposit
- Customer care
Look after the property and keep it in a good condition; damages or dilapidation costs may be deducted from your security deposit at the end of the tenancy. Pay your rent on time; your landlord may seek possession of the property if you fail to pay your rent.
We aim to provide a first class service and to that end have a monthly customer care award which is awarded to the member of our team that has provided the best service, based on customer feedback.
If you have been given great service and would like to tell us about it we’d be keen to hear from you, please email our customer care team: firstname.lastname@example.org
We receive very few complaints, however we understand that sometimes things don’t go exactly to plan and can occasionally go wrong. If this becomes the case, we would prefer that you try to resolve the situation with the member of our team you have been dealing with or the lettings manager, but if they are unable to resolve the situation, or you would prefer to, you may write to our customer care team at: email@example.com
On moving in you will need to:
- Contact your local council (with dates and names of who has moved in and when, for tax purposes)
- Set up your utility bills (it is your responsibility to contact water, gas and electricity companies)
- Check your rental payments have been set up (check with your bank that regular payments have been set up).
Settle in and enjoy your new home!
Hopefully you can see that we take great pride in the service we deliver and aim to rent every property we are instructed on. This means we are always keen for more instructions so we can help more tenants like you. If you know of anyone who has a property to let we would be delighted if you would refer them to us. As a thank you we will send you a cheque for £50 when we get instructed.